Monday, July 5, 2010

Welcome!

I'm really excited to start my foray into the world of blogging. I hope it will be the perfect outlet for the many musings swirling around my gray matter. I would not like, however, to be known as a "blogger". To me, that word conjures up the decidedly un-feminine images of a logger and a blob. Instead, I've come up with the word "bloggerina", which is much more to my liking because it makes me think about pointe shoes and ballet.

The title of my blog is a line from the classic song "The Garden Song" by Peter, Paul & Mary. I grew up in a beautiful town not far from a little island the Lenni Lenape Indians referred to as Mannahatta, and one of its most popular radio stations was WOR. Every Sunday morning, John Gambling's radio show featured a gardening segment ushered in by the opening bars of "The Garden Song". I thought it would be perfect for a blog title, as that's pretty much what I'm doing with my life: making my proverbial garden grow. Please click here to view a great cover by the equally great John Denver! On a side note, my original title was going to be borrowed from Bernstein's humorous and moving operetta Candide, but Blogger.com informed me that "We'll build our home/and chop our wood/and make our garden grow" was too long. Oh well. Less is more, I suppose!

A big thank you to my wonderful husband for putting the final design touches on the blog (always a work in progress) and for being a guest contributor! Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you will do so often! xo

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Kudos to you and Jin. Hopefully Delilah will contribute as well: "Why I Hate Everything and Everyone."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously. That animal loves nobody. It's a good thing Maia is so tough, she'll keep Delilah at the bottom of the pile.

    ReplyDelete