There is no better end to the day than a long, solitary walk on the beach. I was able to indulge in such a walk tonight, soaking in the crashing of the waves and the sorbet-colored layers of sunset that sank slowly into the ocean. There's something about those surroundings that is so calming to me.
I've been in Pawleys Island, South Carolina for the past two weeks. How lucky am I??? Not only in the location, but in that my entire family (pretty much) has been here too. We are celebrating my mom's retirement from teaching, and what a perfect first vacation it's made for our precious Maia. She is well on her way to becoming a full-fledged beach girl and can't drink in her surroundings fast enough. Anyway, our time has been chock-full of what the Italians refer to as dolce far niente, which loosely translates as "sweet to do nothing". Sweet indeed! I've been to South Carolina a couple of times, and always enjoyed the slowed-down lifestyle that permeates every nook and cranny of lives lived here. Plus palm trees just make me insanely happy.
It was (and I write "was" because he returned home today in time for his ice hockey team's championship game) so much fun to live with Todd the last couple of weeks. Even though we are adults, our lifelong comraderie remains firmly intact. We still crack up over the same things and experience small moments of panic each day when our slightly introverted selves start craving solitude amidst the family whirling and spinning. A moment I really loved came when he and I were both sprawled on the long sofa in the loft, doing what we love best: reading! I was savoring Frances Mayes' newest book and he was engrossed in Norse myths. I was in the middle of a sentence when I realized what we were doing, and that was just great. We were also able to watch one of our favorite YouTube clips of all time, which is the Irish step-dancing guylinered phenom Michael Flatley performing in "Cry of The Celts". It is hysterically funny, what with his facial expressions and "legs that flail about as though independent from his body" (thank you , Chandler Bing). That man clearly believes he will impregnate every woman in his screaming audience. But I digress.
My grandmother will be 94 years old next Saturday, and it has been incredibly special to have her here with all of us. She is so content to sit and enjoy talking with and watching all of us, especially her beloved Maia. We celebrated her big day a bit early with delicious cupcakes and coconut macaroons on the screened-in porch that overlooks the saltwater marsh. She is so precious to me. I hope I'm doing a good job of treasuring every minute with her.
Tomorrow we're headed to Charleston, a city I love. I'm looking forward to wheeling my sweet daughter around its lovely old streets, showing her the splashing pineapple fountain, the pastel-colored houses with their flower-abundant window boxes and plantation shutters, and maybe even indulging her with a beautiful hand-smocked dress. Lunch at the Hominy Grill and some snacks at Fast & French should be fabulous, too!
I'm so thankful for my time here, and thankful for the walk this evening that cleared my mind and helped me remember what's important in life. It will be pretty hard to return home, where there is no beach ninety seconds from my front door! I'm thinking about uprooting a palm tree, though...
Beautiful post - I believe that you are doing a terrific job of enjoying your grandmother. The beauty of grandmother's is and always will be that they have time to just sit and enjoy you - therefore the time is always special together. I have to admit that your post made me msis my grandmothers that much more but I know that I could never have had a better relationship with either one of them! :) And your Italian saying 'dolce far niente'? I am stealing that for my facebook status updates! lol
ReplyDelete